Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Dolores O’Riordan Trope to Alternate Rock

Cranberries music is trope to Alternate Rock

Dolores O'Riordan the lead singer of Irish band Cranberries bid adieu yesterday. She became famous for her song, ‘Zombie’ to this generation. This year when I had my retro music session in class, some of the class students started crooning her song zombie; there I realized the mojo of her voice. The Cranberries became internationally famous in '90s with hits like 'Zombie' and 'Linger' they fused alternative rock edge with Celtic-infused pop tunefulness.
O'Riordan and the band "had an immense influence on rock and pop music in Ireland and internationally. The band released three   studio albums before splitting up in 2003. O'Riordan released a solo album, 'Are You Listening,' in 2007, and ‘No Baggage,' in 2009.  In 2012 they reunited released their new album ‘ Roses’.  Lately they released the acoustic album 'Something Else' in 2017. Their Europe tour was due in 2018.
In songwriting magazine UK she reveals the history behind the band, “We had a piano at home in my parents’ house, so I had been writing songs since I was 12 years old. But I wanted a band with bass, guitar and drums. There was a girl in my flat who was going out with a guy who used to sing with The Cranberries and at the time they were called The Cranberry Sauce. She told me they were looking for a singer and that maybe I should go and meet them. On Sundays they used to rehearse at the local studio, so I went there and met Mike, Ferg and Noel. I remember there were a lot of guys there, probably about 10 of them in the room, just hanging out, and they were about 16, 17 or 18 years old. I was 18 and went in with my Yamaha keyboard under my arm, sang a few songs for them and then they played a few songs for me. I remember thinking they had potential and one of the things they played was Linger – I really liked that one and took home a cassette recording of Noel playing the four chords. Then that week I was busy working on it in my bedroom, trying to work out my parts and what I was going to sing. You know when you’re a teenager, you’re dating and you get a broken heart and it’s just so fatal? Well, Linger came around that ‘fatal love’ kind of stage in my life, when it was all drama.”
One point she notes and I find it important as a special mention about how and when she write? She use phone to put down an idea, while walking up the road, humming into phone. I admire how aptly she records the emotions. This many give us a suggestion on how to use technology at maximum.
The Irish President Michael D. Higgins expressed "To all those who follow and support Irish music, Irish musicians and the performing arts, her death will be a big loss."
Today when I have witnessed the last quarter of last century and the development of first quarter of this century, I feel she was the messenger of time. She passed the legacy of human emotions from last century to this century. The music lovers like me will always put a high note for her.
Dolores O’Riordan will be a trope to alternate rock. Let’s jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment